10 Things Top CEOS Regularly Do to Be Successful
I am fascinated by the things that super successful people do. After all, we all have the same amount of time every day. Super successful people seem to maximize that time better than the rest of us.
So, what do successful CEOs do that the rest of us could emulate?
1. Have a compelling vision and set clear goals. Successful CEOs set clear goals and priorities for their companies, and they communicate these goals effectively to their teams. Mary Barra, the CEO of General Motors, is known for setting clear goals and vision for the company, and for effectively communicating and rallying the organization around those goals.
One of her main goals as CEO has been to transform General Motors into a leader in electric and autonomous vehicles, and she has worked to establish a strong strategic vision for the company’s future in these areas. In addition to setting goals and vision for the company, Barra has also worked to foster a culture of innovation and continuous improvement at General Motors, and has encouraged her employees to take risks and think creatively. By setting clear goals and vision, and fostering a culture that supports innovation and progress, Barra has helped to drive the success of General Motors and position the company for future growth.
2. Foster a culture of continuous learning. Many top CEOs believe in the value of ongoing learning and development, both for themselves and their teams. For instance, Salesforce CEO Marc Benioff implemented a program called “Trailhead,” which encourages employees to continuously learn new skills and take on new challenges.
3. Build strong personal and professional relationships. Successful CEOs recognize the importance of building strong relationships, both within their companies and with key stakeholders such as customers, investors, and partners. Ginni Rometty, the former CEO of IBM, set a strong example of leadership and relationship-building. She focused on driving the company’s transformation into a leader in artificial intelligence, cloud computing, and other emerging technologies, and worked to establish a culture of continuous learning and innovation at the company. Rometty also placed a strong emphasis on creating strong relationships and a more inclusive workplace culture at IBM. She was known for her effective communication skills and her ability to inspire and motivate her employees.
4. Take the right risks. Top CEOs are not afraid to take calculated risks in order to drive growth and innovation. Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella made bold moves, such as acquiring LinkedIn and revamping the company’s business model to focus on cloud computing.
5. Have exceptional time management. Successful CEOs are skilled at managing their time and delegating tasks effectively. Motion First President Meridith Elliott Powell implemented a “2-minute rule,” where she is extremely focused on what she needs to do every day. She makes it a practice to only spend two minutes on any task that can be completed in that time frame, in order to prioritize her most important responsibilities.
6. Foster collaboration and teamwork. Many top CEOs emphasize the importance of collaboration and teamwork in achieving success. For example, Google CEO Sundar Pichai has implemented a team-based approach to decision-making, with an emphasis on fostering collaboration and open communication among employees.
7. Seek new opportunities. Forward-thinking CEOs are always on the lookout for new opportunities to drive growth and innovation. Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz consistently focused on expanding the company’s presence in new markets and introducing new products and services.
8. Stay focused on the customer. Top CEOs understand the importance of putting the customer first and ensuring that their needs are met. For example, Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos has famously emphasized the importance of customer satisfaction, stating that “we see our customers as invited guests to a party, and we are the hosts. It’s our job every day to make every important aspect of the customer experience a little bit better.”
9. Stay up to date on industry trends. Successful CEOs are knowledgeable about their industries and stay up to date on emerging trends and technologies. For example, Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger regularly attends industry events and keeps an eye on new developments in the tech industry.
10. Lead by example. Many top CEOs believe in leading by example and setting a positive tone for their companies. Warren Buffet, the CEO of Berkshire Hathaway, is known for his frugality and discipline when it comes to managing the company’s finances, and he sets an example for others to follow by living a modest lifestyle and avoiding unnecessary expenses. He also advocates long-term thinking and careful decision-making, and encourages his employees to do the same. He has famously said that he wants Berkshire Hathaway to be a company that is “boring” in the sense that it is consistently profitable and avoids taking unnecessary risks. By leading by example and setting a strong financial foundation for the company, Buffet has helped Berkshire Hathaway become one of the most successful and respected companies in the world.